Tuesday. “Yo, Dude!!”

The phrase up above is from my good friend, The Hippy-Dippy Weatherman. Seems whenever I am on a trip, he just seems to find me. People out here in Illinois have been complaining just like everyone back east as to when the warmer weather of spring will begin.

“Like…Wednesday, Man”, says HD. Sure enough, he is on the money. I asked him what he will be doing once the unofficial start of summer begins at 6pm EDT on Friday. And he says, “Like wow, Man.” Next thing you know, he’s on his way….somewhere. He gave me the peace sign as usual and said, “Later, Man”.

Always nice to see HD.

I had planned to see this train park that has been set aside for railfans in Rochelle, Illinois this morning. Getting there was half the fun as Il-DOT was doing construction on about, oh, 25 miles of shoulder on both sides of I-88. And when I finally got to the park, it had a blockade across the entrance to the parking lot. Seems there was fresh tar covering the spider lines of the parking. Upon further investigation, it seems the park is closed on Tuesday. Did not know that. And that repaving will commence later in the day. So it appears I will return on Friday and give it another go. Ah, the best made plans of mice and men………..

So, I actually did do what I usually do…chase trains. And today, I got the opportunity to follow a Union Pacific eastbound freight train. But one thing got in the way: following the train was done at a distance because U.S. 38 does not parallel the tracks of the UP like U.S. 30 does in Nebraska. BUT….with some good luck, I did manage to snag my prize in Elberg, Illinois.




Six locomotives (3 of them online, 3 of them offline) and 139 cars. Oh joy I say. Then I headed back down U.S. 38 and low and behold, I catch up with that same UP freight but it had to slow down to change tracks. I again managed to get ahead and catch up with it at the next crossing. Before it got there, a speedy westbound double stacks flies on by.





As the eastbound trudges by, someone in a car waiting states that the trains get pretty long out here. I informed him that I had seen the train earlier. When I mentioned 139 cars, his jaw dropped to the floorboard. Luckily for me, I was now heading south and then on to Naperville, Illinois, the hometown of fellow ham and former News 8 maintenance guy Matt Valleau, KA9CRG.

Upon getting there, the parking lots are full. I try going down towards the train station and lo and behold, there is an empty spot, right across from the station.


After quickly celebrating my good luck, 2 bucks feed the meter for 3 hours and I was golden.

Then I took a pic on my iPhone was that of the train station on the tracks.


I sent him a text message with the pic and to guess the location. He got it right. Then he texts, “Who B this?”. Seems he did not have my cell number. Once I identified myself, we got caught up on life and our families. All is going well. Seems retirement is agreeing with me so Matt said. We bid goodbye and hopefully we’ll get in touch soon.

The rest of the day was spent taking pictures and seeing some of Amtrak’s top line trains including the both trains of the Southwest Chief which runs from Chicago to Los Angeles and the westbound California Zephyr which runs between Chicago and San Francisco.











Both trains are on my to-do list. And a few more trains of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe and Metra which runs the Chicago commuter trains

Anyway, Wednesday I meet up with an old friend from the days of the old WB series “Dawson’s Creek” for the first time meeting in person and ride some trains. Hopefully get to the Sears, I mean, Willits Tower in downtown Chicago.

And before we go, a hodge-podge of today's action:











Let it spring. Let it spring. Let it spring

I am Philip J Zocco. On The Road. In Aurora, Illinois.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog